How Our Auditions Work
We're glad you want to join us! Here's what to expect.
Your audition to enter the School of Music may be in-person or virtual, depending on your audition area. Repertoire or portfolio requirements differ for each area as well, so be sure to check the audition requirements to see what applies to you.
On-campus auditions will be held over a few specific audition days listed on this page. If you choose this option when filling out your application, you will be notified by the Office of Student Success of your audition date and time. Be sure to prepare your audition pieces, or relevant portfolio work, sufficiently ahead of time!
Prospective students only seeking a Minor in Music do not need to audition through this process. Auditions for music minors will be held the week prior to the start of classes; please contact the appropriate faculty member of your area or instrument to arrange an audition directly.
AUDITION & PORTFOLIO REQUIREMENTS
Undergraduate Admissions Process
Questions? Contact Us!
Office of Student Success
102 School of Music Building
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-2504
For Fall 2023 entry into the School of Music
On-Campus Audition Dates:
- Jan. 28, 2023
- Feb. 18, 2023
Recorded Audition Window (Priority)
- Aug. 1, 2022 - Feb. 18, 2023*
*Recorded auditions are accepted continuously, but we recommend submitting recorded auditions before Feb. 18 for scholarship consideration and a timely admissions decision.
We know auditions can seem like a whirlwind - here are a few things to remember which can make your audition a less stressful experience:
- Dress for Success: Try on and run through your audition in the clothes you plan to wear—accessories and all. If any item of clothing is too uncomfortable, consider wearing something else.
- Hydrate and Breathe: When you get nervous, your mouth may get dry and your breathing changes. Bring your own bottle of water to the audition and be conscious of your breath. Release a good, long exhalation (and all that tension) just before you perform.
- Like an Interview: Your audition starts as soon as the door opens. Be confident, shake the instructor’s hand, bring a portfolio with copies of your résumé, repertoire list and audition program. And remember—you are also conducting an “audition” of sorts to determine if the school is the right fit for you.
- Picture Yourself: Imagine the performance with detail: picture yourself on stage, how the instrument feels in your hands, the audience in front of you, what the lights are like. Imagine yourself performing successfully, positive emotions, playing difficult passages with ease.