Student Employment

Student Employment


F-1 and J-1 students are required to have specific authorizations for different types of employment, such as On-Campus and Off-Campus employment. The main purpose of being an F-1 or J-1 student is to study and complete your academic program. Any employment would only be considered a side benefit that is strictly regulated. Unauthorized employment is violation of legal status and can introduce a number of serious legal consequences that can jeopardize your ability to remain in the U.S. and return to the U.S. It is extremely important to make sure that you are following all employment regulations for your status.

If you have any questions regarding if a job (paid or unpaid) would be allowed for your specific status (F-1 or J-1), please contact our office before accepting/beginning any employment.

You can email us at, book an advising session with an advisor in International Services (IS), or call the front desk at (225) 578-3191. Remember, it is very important to find out if employment would be authorized or not before you make a mistake that could jeopardize your academic program and status here in the United States. We also provide an Employer’s Brochure for you and your employer that briefly explains how F-1 and J-1 students can be employed while they are here in the US for their studies.

On-Campus Employment

International Services authorizes On-Campus work permission to eligible F-1 and J-1 students. In order to fill out your Initial/New hiring paperwork, such as the I-9 form, you must have a:

  1. Valid, unexpired passport,
  2. Valid, unexpired I-20/DS-2019, and
  3. Your most recent I-94 printout.

Passports may affect other F-1 or J-1 benefits, ability to travel, and proof of status, so it is recommended that our international students maintain a valid passport at all times. On-Campus Employment is included as part of your status, but if you will be working for an On-Campus Vendor (not paid by LSU Payroll), you will need a special Vendor Work Permit (paper form only).

  • F-1 students may work On-Campus up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and up to 40 hours per week during University breaks and holidays.
  • J-1 exchange students may work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and up to 40 hours per week during University breaks and holidays, if their J-1 sponsor allows.
    • Please note: You must have written permission from International Services before you can begin any On-campus employment. If LSU is your J-1 sponsor, you are permitted to work on campus as long as you are maintaining lawful status. If you are not sponsored by LSU, you must be given permission from the issuing agency of your Form DS-2019 to be allowed to work On-Campus so you do not violate any of your sponsor’s rules.
  • New students: if you are transferring from a different U.S. college, the F-1 or J-1 transfer process must be completed before you can begin working On-Campus. All new students, both those coming from overseas as well as the transfer students, must report officially to the International Services office before their work documents can be processed. New students, including Graduate Assistants, cannot begin working before the date of our Orientation program.